Thursday, September 13, 2012

An Old Tablet, VPN, OneNote and SharePoint begins...

Some background... I have an old tablet, at least five years old running XP Tablet Edition, so it falls into the BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) category at work.  The only way I can connect is via F5 Networks (VPN).  I have Office 2010 installed on it with OneNote.  We have SharePoint 2010 at work with MySites.

Where it begins... I finally got around to getting Office 2010 installed on an old XP tablet I had lying around.  I fired it up, attached to my work network from home via F5 (VPN) and started playing around with OneNote and my SharePoint personal site.  I had already created a few OneNote notebooks a while back, so I opened these up and started playing around.  Some pretty cool stuff!  The script to text function really grabbed my attention.  Starting tomorrow at work, I'm going to see how well a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) works via VPN and if entering passwords a bunch of times per day is going to be a major pain (I hope to figure a better way to cache credentials).  Plus, I'll need to see how long this battery is going to last in the real world.  I think this tablet is at least 5 years old...

I will be posting my travels on here about my "ancient" tablet, VPN, OneNote, SharePoint and how it's all working together.  I hope my results are good, because OneNote has been pretty neat from the short amount of time I was able to look at it.

Keep checking back for updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment